There are various ways an ignition can occur, and this will be a deciding factor in what fire class a blaze falls. Unfortunately, fire extinguishers are not universal, so there is no cure-all method for every type. For this reason, Firescape has decided to make a guide containing tips should you ever find yourself facing a fire.
One of the main areas of concern may be your appliances, as any malfunction with these could spark a fire. For example, a microwave incident can be dealt with fairly quickly if the initial ignition isn’t too severe. First, shut the door, then turn the power off at the mains, providing you can reach the socket safely. This should cut off the oxygen supply and extinguish the fire. This is the same process for a traditional oven, though fire can often escape through the sides, so if this occurs, ensure you have an extinguisher or other solution such as baking soda on hand. While it is quite unlikely, your TV can also catch fire if the conditions are right. Don’t use anything like blankets, or similar, to smother the flames, as they’re much more likely to ignite themselves. However, you can use water, or a conventional extinguisher, if you have one.
We have covered electrical fires before, so read our previous blog for more information.
Flammable gas is used in many household contraptions, including stoves and traditional heating systems. Most gas fires occur when one of these devices overheats a nearby structure or flammable material. It can be quite hard to put these out, so doing your utmost to prevent them is key. For that reason, if you detect even a hint of a gas leak, either shut off the supply yourself or call whoever manages your maintenance to do it for you. If an ignition has happened already, there are steps you can take. NEVER USE WATER, as this is ineffective and can make things worse, as the liquid will boil and spit. Instead, use a blanket to smother the flames. Alternatively, if you have any extinguishers in the house, these can be a great help too.
For more detailed information on how to put out a gas fire, read our in-depth blog on the subject.
These are among the most difficult fires to put out and they can also be some of the most dangerous too. Grease fires break out when your cooking utensils or oven collects too much oil. If you aren’t cleaning your various apparatuses enough, then this build-up can ignite any time a heat source is introduced, such as when you are cooking. The danger is present on two fronts; heat first, as grease fires can reach very high temperatures, and the grease itself, which can splash and cover everything in the vicinity. As with gas fires, water will only make the situation worse, as it will heat up and explode outwards if mixed with burning grease.
If your pan has burst into flames, cover it with a lid, but don’t use glass, as this can shatter. You may have heard of people using baking soda to extinguish such fires and this can be an effective method. Just don’t use sugar by mistake, as the pan will blow up like dynamite! If you are struggling to put it out, our tried and tested product Pan-Safe can help. It’s specifically designed to tackle greasy, chip pan fires and fits easily in most kitchen draws and cabinets. Additionally, visit out grease fire page to learn more about dealing with such blazes.
House fires can be quite hard to deal with, but if you’re on the move when one breaks out, then it can be immeasurably worse to deal with. The first thing to do is get off the road in as prompt and safe a manner as possible. Turn off the engine and get out as soon as you’ve pulled to a stop, then alert the emergency services. Don’t try to pop the hood or get to any internal fires, as the vehicle can quickly become a fireball. If you have a portable extinguisher, use it, but only if the fire is contained to the car.
Get the Right Extinguishers
While these aren’t the only kind of fires out there, they are the most common and destructive. Knowledge of fire safety and how to react in a potentially dangerous situation can be incredibly helpful, but having the right equipment at hand is equally important. We’ve already spoken about Pan-Safe, our revolutionary fire safety product that tackles chip-pan fires in seconds, but we also have another extinguisher in our stock; Spray-Safe. It is an aerosol extinguishing solution, specifically designed to be as effective and lightweight as possible. There is only 335ml of liquid in each bottle, so it is highly portable and can be taken anywhere, even in your glove box! Both Pan-Safe and Spray-Safe us Firescape’s patented extinguishing formula, which is the eco-friendliest solution available on the market. This isn’t just good for the environment, it’s good for you too, as there will be no toxic residue left behind, which means less to clean up. All our products have been independently tested by experts of the industry, plus they have the approval of the London Fire Brigade. Take charge of your home fire safety extinguisher needs, today by checking out our shop.
Other articles worth reading: